|Curator of Amphibians and Reptiles
|Mailing Address:||Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences
Texas A&M University
210 Nagle Hall
College Station, TX 77843-2258
|Phone: (979) 845-5783
- RENR 215: Fundamentals of Ecology Lab (2009-11)
- WFSC 302: Natural History of the Vertebrates (2009-10)(website)
- WFSC 315: Herpetology (2011)
- WFSC 316 Field Herpetology (2011, 2013 -)
- B.S., Midwestern State University, 1994
- M.S., Texas A&M University, 2000
- Ph.D., University of the Witwatersrand, 2006
- Distribution of the Salado Salamander
- Behavioral ecology and population dynamics in the Dunes Sagebrush Lizard in Texas
- Sexual Selection in the common barking gecko Ptenopus garrulus
- Predator prey relationships in bronze frog tadpoles
- Amphibian and reptile biodiversity
Natural History and conservation of amphibians and reptiles; Sexual selection and evolutionary ecology.
Selected Publications :
TIPTON, BL, TL HIBBITTS, TD HIBBITTS, TJ HIBBITTS, and T LADUC. in press. Texas Amphibians. University of Texas Press. (expected publication date, Fall 2012).
HIBBITTS, TJ, WE COOPER Jr., and MJ WHITING. in press. Spatial distribution and activity patterns in African barking geckos: implications for mating system and reproduction. Journal of Herpetology.
PRESTRIDGE, HL, LA FITZGERALD, and TJ HIBBITTS. 2011. Trade in non-native amphibians and reptiles in Texas: lessons for better monitoring and implications for species introduction. Herpetological Conservation and Biology 6:324-339.
WHITING, MJ, VL WILLIAMS, and TJ HIBBITTS. 2011. Animals traded for traditional medicine at the Faraday Market in South Africa: diversity and conservation implications. Journal of Zoology. 284:84-96.
HIBBITTS, TJ, CW PAINTER, and AT HOLYCROSS. 2009. Ecology of a population of the narrow-headed garter snake (Thamnophis rufipunctatus) in New Mexico: catastrophic decline of a river specialist. Southwestern Naturalist. 54:461-467.
HIBBITTS TJ, MJ WHITING, and DM STUART-FOX. 2007. Shouting the odds: vocalization signals status in a lizard. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology in press.
HIBBITTS TJ and MJ WHITING. 2005. Do male barking geckos (Ptenopus garrulus garrulus) avoid refuges scented by other males? African Journal of Herpetology 54:191-194.
HIBBITTS TJ, ER PIANKA, RB HUEY, and MJ WHITING. 2005. Ecology of the common barking gecko (Ptenopus garrulus) in southern Africa. Journal of Herpetology 39:509-515.
HIBBITTS TJ and LA FITZGERALD. 2005. Morphological and ecological convergence in two natricine snakes. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 85:363-371.
RYBERG WA, LA FITZGERALD, RL HONEYCUTT, JC CATHEY, and TJ HIBBITTS. 2004. Vertebrate inventory of Richland Creek Wildlife Management Area in eastern Texas. Southwestern Naturalist 49:528-534.